Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Flower Unseen

The Flower Unseen
by Scott Bradley


There is a pale-blue flower just now blooming in a crack in a granite scarp of the High Sierras. It is so tiny you would have to get on your hands and knees to see it properly. I do not know its name. I don't know where it is. But it is. And it is wonderful and precious beyond all imagining, there in its nook, never to be seen by man.

This is ecocentrism, the recognition of the intrinsic value of all things without reference to the human. But really, it is no such thing as an idea — it is an experience. It is an experience which, if experienced, is consummate to awakening. Realize this unseen flower without reference to yourself, and you have realized Unity.

This tiny flower serves me as koan; upon it I crack the nut of my egocentric bondage. To utterly affirm this tiny being is to experientially affirm the Totality. The fullness of Reality is there expressed, yet the gate is by way of unseeing and unknowing.

You can check out Scott's other miscellaneous writings here.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is my favorite post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.